One Last Day in New York

Snow on the patio on our last day.

We woke Monday to another cold day, but once again clear and sunny. I let Justine sleep in, and went up to the lounge to get some work done. It had snowed overnight, and the patio in the lounge had a bit of snow covering it. It hadn’t stuck to the streets, so it didn’t affect anything. We had until 10 p.m. that evening when our flight was heading out. We were able to push our checkout until 3 p.m., so we had the full day ahead of us.

The Natural History Museum has a new dinosaur exhibit “Titanosaurous” that I wanted to see, so once Justine was up and about, we hopped on the subway uptown. I figured at roughly noon on a Monday in March it should be pretty quiet. No such luck – there was a huge line out the front door, just to buy tickets.

The subway stop at the museum has amazing tile work, with lots of cool displays.

Looking across a lake in Central Park.

That huge building is a new condo development on the edge of the Park. $100M for the penthouse...

So we scrapped that idea and had a nice walk in Central Park, back down to 59th Street and Columbus Circle. We grabbed some lunch and ate in the Park, enjoying the sunshine.

Another empty stretch we were running on the day before.

Once we were done lunch, we headed back to the hotel, packed up and checked out. We still had part of the day, so we headed back to the west side at 34th Street, and walked the High Line. I’m sure I’ve gone on about the High Line enough, as it’s one of our favorite things about New York.

A pano on the High Line. The last piece they need to complete is under that huge new building.

It was cold but sunny, and even though it was early in the year, the High Line is worth a visit. We made our leisurely stroll down the park, eventually ending up in the Meatpacking District again.

Justine on the High Line

It was about 4:00 at that point, so we wandered over to a German Beer Garden that we had discovered last time, and had a drink. Or two. It’s a cool place, and we enjoyed the afternoon.

Beer at the beer market!

After our drink, we headed over to Chelsea Market, another favorite spot. We wandered a bit, then sat down at the oyster bar for happy hour. $1 oysters and cheap wine made for a great end to our day, and trip to New York.

Happy hour!

After that it was back to the hotel, back on the subway to Brooklyn and the airport, then a long flight home. It was 2 am by the time we got to Vancouver, and a rough start to a day of work on Tuesday. New York is amazing, and we always have a great time there. This trip was no exception. The race was great, we had some amazing meals and spent some time exploring one of the greatest cities on the planet. 

Subway sculptures.